Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tasting- Coastal Vines Brut, Lazzaro Chardonnay, Tres Ojos Garacha Tempranillo, Into Zin Zinfandel, Legaris Crianza

Tasting #1: Coastal Vines Brut

Varietal:
Region: California
Country: United States
Year:
Price: $6.95

"Vintage Cellar" review: "Coastal Vines Sparkling Wine is a light colored wine with aromas of apple and citrus. On the palate there are flavors of melon and pear. The finish is crisp and clean. Pair with cheeses, like brie, for appetizers; grilled garlic shrimp over a bed of pasta; or with a light white cake for dessert."

My Review: I found this sparkling wine to be a little sweet for a brut. I think traditionally bruts tend to be more dry but this one was a little sweet. For the most part though, I found it to be dry with great carbonation, and a slightly sweet flavor on the palate that was perhaps from the intense fruit flavors. The melon especially was coming through for me on this one. I wouldn't say I would buy a bottle for myself but it wasn't bad for me.


Tasting #2: Lazzaro Chardonnay

Varietal: Chardonnay
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2010
Price: $6.95

"Vintage Cellar" review: "Opens with mellow peach and melon aromas and some oak. The palate is round, creamy and full. Tastes of spiced, dried apple with a stalky, pithy accent."

My Review: I found the peach aroma to come through very strongly on the nose of this wine. I also thought this wine was very floral in its aroma as well. This wine was a little sweet for my palate. I personally am not partial to sweeter chardonnays. I thought it was a nice medium bodied wine. I personally did not find it to be creamy or full as the description describes.

Tasting #3: Tres Ojos Garacha Tempranillo

Varietal: Tempranillo and Garacha
Region: Calatayud
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $5.95

"Vintage Cellar" review: "A 50-50 blend of Tempranillo and Garacha, this medium rose-colored rosado boasts a spice red cherry/plum nose with soft lush attack of red berry fruit flavors and a crisp dry finish. Simple and refreshing and a natural for tapas."

My Review: This wine was very floral on the nose but not especially so in the taste. I found the cherry flavor to be the most prominent for me. It wasn't as sweet as I was expecting it to be considering it is a rose. I thought the wine had an odd flavor that I couldn't quite find the right word to use to describe it.

Tasting #4: Into Zin Zinfandel

Varietal: Zinfandel
Region: Lodi, California
Country: United States
Year: 2008
Price: $7.95

"Vintage Cellar" review: "Spicy, jammy, ripe round plum with juicy soft finish. Goes well with marsala chicken, peppered steak or broiled lamb shank."

My Review: The first thing I wrote down without even looking at the description was that I thought the wine smelled like strawberry jam. It was very odd. All I could think about was eating toast because of the nose on the wine. However, when I tasted it the jam flavor did not come through at all for me. Actually, it was quite the opposite of what I expected. I thought the wine was peppery, dry, with a light to medium body. 

Tasting #5: Legaris Crianza

Varietal: Crianza
Region: Ribera del Duero
Country: Spain
Year: 2003
Price: $8.95

"Vintage Cellar" review: "90 Points, Wine Spectator. A silky texture carries plum, tobacco, coffee and mineral flavors over ripe tannins in the balanced red. Berry and vanilla notes linger on the finish. Drink now through 2013. -T.M."

My Review: I really enjoyed this wine a lot! I thought the alcohol came through very strongly on the nose. Perhaps letting it breathe for awhile would help make it seem less hot. Other notes I wrote down were: hot, smooth, currant, plum, medium bodied, tobacco definitely came through. I thought this wine was very nice! I bought a couple bottles in hopes of trying to see how decanting would effect the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment