Friday, March 30, 2012

Tasting - Obikwa Sauvignon Blanc, Oak Vineyard Chardonnay, Tres Ojos Old Vines Garnacha, Faraway Farms Shiraz, Primo Amore Moscato

Tasting #1: Obikwa Sauvignon Blanc


Varietal: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: N/A
Country: South Africa
Year: 2010
Price: $7.95

"Vintage Cellar" Review: "Obikwa Sauvignon Blanc is the ideal summer wine and smacks of crisp tropical fruit with a smattering of gooseberries and fig. If you're planning a night out with mates - don't forget to bring along a bottle of this yummy potion!"

My Review: This wine had a very nice aroma of apple on the nose. Fruity nose in general, but the apple especially stuck out for me. It was actually a very nice sauvignon blanc! Very light, crisp, and fruity with a nice lip-smacking tang to it! Definitely a good summer wine!


Tasting #2: Oak Vineyard Chardonnay

Varietal: Chardonnay
Region: Napa & Sonoma, California
Country: United States
Year: 2010
Price: $5.95

"Vintage Cellar" Review: "Quite an interesting Chardonnay, in an era when so many are too sweet and extracted. There's plenty of orange and apricot fruit flavor, but also a brilliant streak of minerality, like a lick of cold steel, and the overall taste is dry. Really easy to like, with lots of complexity to warrant repeated sipping."

My Review: Like the write-up on this wine said, I also thought this was an interesting Chardonnay. It actually had a little floral bouquet on the nose, which I don't think I've ever experienced in a Chardonnay. It had a little vanilla-y type flavor and mouthfeel (that creaminess). I couldn't pick out too much from this wine but it was nice.

Tasting #3: Tres Ojos Old Vines Garnacha

Varietal: Grenache
Region: N/A
Country: Spain
Year: 2009
Price: $6.95

"Vintage Cellar" Review: "Bright ruby color. Primary dark berry aromas are simple but offer very good purity and focus. Juicy blackberry and bitter cherry flavors are youthfully tangy, with good back-end acidity adding snap. The clean, brisk finish leaves behind notes of sweet dark berry preserves and cracked pepper."

My Review: Seeing that this was a Grenache, I was a little afraid, given my past experience with Grenache. Not to mention the fact that the lesson this week talked about the lack of oomph this grape has. I was absolutely shocked when the man doing the tasting said this was their best selling wine in the history of the store! A Grenache?! Whoa! Upon tasting it,  I was pleasantly surprised! It had a little sweet, with a hint of vanilla, on the nose. The flavor was spicy with an overwhelming amount of pepper, smooth, with great tannins that gave it a spectacular velvety mouthfeel, and also some cherry flavors. It reminded me a lot of a Vina Borgia. Very nice surprise here!

Tasting #4: Faraway Farms Shiraz

Varietal: Shiraz
Region: N/A
Country: South Africa
Year: 2008
Price: $5.95

"Vintage Cellar" Review: "Fresh, modern style, with lots of plum pudding, sweet chocolate, mocha, blackberry and boysenberry flavors supported by round, sweet tannins and toast."

My Review: This definitely had a strong blackberry aroma coming off the nose which was quite nice, but it also had a very smoky scent to it as well which was odd. Then, it actually tasted smoky! It was bizarre for me. I'm not a fan of smoked anything (cheese, meats, or wines). The smoky flavor was so overpowering for me that I couldn't taste anything else. I was not much of a fan of this one.

Tasting #5: Primo Amore Moscato

Varietal: Moscato
Region: N/A
Country: Italy
Year: No vintage
Price: $8.95

"Vintage Cellar" Review: "Straw-yellow with golden reflections and a delicate mousse. Fruity and very inviting, with intense scent of peaches and exotic fruit. Fresh and pleasantly sweet with a taste that reveals its varietal characteristic."

My Review: As you would imagine, this had a very floral and fruity nose. It actually smelled quite nice, but it was WAY too sweet for me. Like sickeningly sweet. I couldn't drink more than 2 sips. This is the first wine I have had that I couldn't finish the amount in my tasting glass. The carbonation was quite nice and I could certainly imagine if I liked Moscato, that it would be a great wine for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment