Monday, April 30, 2012

Tasting - Taz Pinot Noir, Frontera Malbec, Arbor Crest Merlot, BV Signet Cabernet Sauvignon, Wild Gaucho Malbec "Club"

Tasting #1: Taz Pinot Noir


Varietal: Pinot Noir
Region: California
Country: United States
Vintage: 2008
Price: $17.95

Online Review: "The 2008 TAZ Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir is a classic. The nose is rich and complex with aromas of wild strawberry, black tea, dusty cherry and cinnamon. The palate follows through with notes of red cherry, vanilla and clove." (http://www.wine.com/v6/wineshop/Detail.aspx?product_id=110591&state=VA)


My Review: Even at the closeout price listed above, I thought this wine to be very overpriced. It was a mediocre wine. Having never spent more than $20 on a bottle of wine, I have no idea what an expensive pinot noir would taste like. This wine had nice fruity notes and a strong tannic structure but didn't make me that excited.


Tasting #2: Frontera Malbec

Varietal: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Chile
Vintage: 2010
Price: $5.95

Online Review: "Purple red. Fresh red fruits folded with coffee notes. Mouth filling black cherry and dark plum flavors wrapped with subtle spice and gentle tannins. Goes well with hearty meat dishes such as roast beef, grilled steak and barbecued ribs." (http://www.winelegacy.com/ItemDetail.aspx?Item_ID=843)

My Review: For no particular reason, I don't drink a lot of Malbecs. I really like them but I suppose I rarely come across ones that I want to buy. This wine was rockin! It really took me by surprise. It had a great deep color, a really luxurious and smooth mouthfeel, great cherry flavors, and a fantastic finish. At $5.95 a bottle, this wine was a steal!

Tasting #3: Arbor Crest Merlot

Varietal: Merlot
Region: Washington
Country: United States
Vintage: 2009
Price: $11.95

Online Review: "91 Points - Wine Enthusiast. Tart and bright, with an almost-jammy mix of raspberry and strawberry preserves, this concentrated, fruit-powered Merlot overdelivers for the price. Along with the luscious fruit are darker streaks of iron, coffee grounds and char, all in a classy, well-designed, four-vineyard blend. - P.G." (http://www.northwest-wine.com/Arbor-Crest-Merlot.html)

My Review: This was actually quite nice! It was one of maybe 3 of the 14 wines we tasted, that we liked. We didn't end up buying this one, but we debated it! It was a little strawberry-y with a nice raspberry color. Nice tannins. Overall, it was pretty good!

Tasting #4: BV Signet Collection Cabernet Sauvignon

Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: California
Country: United States
Vintage: 2007
Price: $9.95

Online Review: No online write-up available.

My Review: My parents have had a lot of BV in the past. This is one of those vineyards that seems to roller coaster. Some of the wines are solid and/or a good value and others are just mediocre or completely tank. This was pretty close to the tanking side for me. It was okay. Seemed to lack a little depth. Not much else to say about this one.

Tasting #5: Wild Gaucho Malbec "Club"

Varietal: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Vintage: 2009
Price: $7.95

Online Review: No online write-up available.

My Review: This wine was pretty funky. I don't know what flavor there was in it that I didn't like, but there was something strong in it that I didn't like. It almost tasted like maybe the bottle had been open for too long or something? The flavor was so overpowering that I couldn't pick up much else for this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment